Villa Pellegrini Castle owes its name to Giuseppe Pellegrini, who bought the villa from Lady Pegoraro Argia, widow of Carraro, in 1957, who in turn bought it in 1940 from Lady Vogele Natalina, widow of Augustus Vogele, he who wanted it to be built it in the early 1900’s.
In the book “Giardini e Ville del Lago Maggiore” (“Gardens and Villas of Lake Maggiore”) by Dr. Renata Lodari, the villa is described as a “grand building in Neuchâtel style dating back to the second half of the 1800’s.”
Description of Pellegrini Castle
The building has a symmetrical plan with two angular towers and a central square tower which offers a splendid panoramic view of the lake.
The attention to the perspectives of the landscape, the lake and the garden have affected the internal layout of the rooms, the planimetric articulation intends to differentiate the views, the villa becomes almost an optical device through which the landscape of the lake always appears different.
The Villa is on two main levels above ground, with a surface area of about 100 sq. m. per floor, as well as a third floor and a turret on two levels. In the basement there is a large kitchen with food lift, ancillary rooms, and a small apartment for the staff.
Originally the main facade, in the austere and monumental Neuchâtel style, was characterized by decorative elements typical of the eclecticism of the beginning of the century, such as pointed arches, battlements, crenellated towers and mullioned windows which have small columns with Corinthian capitals.
In a second step, the facade was enhanced by the construction of a panoramic balcony supported by a system of columns-balcony, with marble columns of Baveno.
The openings are a characteristic element of the building:
– The ground floor features on the main facade, a front door made of wood, with a decorative pointed arch and mullioned windows topped by a cornice in relief forming decorative pointed arches, and with sliding shutters; on the side facades there are rounded arch windows with double shutters.
– the first floor has windows similar to those on the ground floor and in correspondence to the front door there is a large French window with cornice in relief with a pointed arch that gives access to the panoramic terrace.
On the main facade, the balcony supported by marble columns of Baveno divides the ground floor from the first floor, while on the side facades the division is achieved by a plain floor marker strip.
The strip relevant to the ground floor is treated with ashlar plaster and the first floor with plain smooth plaster, a further marker strip with overhanging arches divides the first floor from the attic floor, featuring arched shelves and small rectangular windows. The two crenellated towers have mullion windows.
Location: hills overlooking Lake Maggiore
Condition: to renovate
Suface area: 600 sq. m.
Rooms: 6 bedrooms and a mini service apartment
Independent driveway with private parking spaces
Private beach can be easily reached through a private staircase